Saturday, May 17, 2008

Language

One of the most challenging aspects of living in Bongo and working with FBOs is not being able to understand the native FraFra/Grunsi language. Most people who have gone to school know some English, but those (including farmers) who haven’t don’t know any English at all. Even with those who do know English, I find I must change my tone of voice and vocabulary to fit ‘Ghanaian English’ so they can understand. I've met a retired teacher though who has agreed to teach me more.

I have the basic greetings and responses down, which are gold! People greet each other everywhere all the time, and they’re impressed (and usually laugh) when I engage.
At the FBO meetings I attended this week, I sat in silence and oblivion until the AEA translated the gist of things for me at the end. One woman, Alice, came up to me as we were about to leave, she handed me her baby and a note (in English) which I read later explaining that I am so respectful and kind and she sees me as her best friend! I had said nothing besides greet them. Oh, the effects of White Privilege!

No comments: