Monday, October 11, 2010

Dorothy


As I’m wrapping up the final month of my 1-year placement, and I look back on these past months, what stands out most to me are not necessarily the numbers or my concrete accomplishments, but rather the people I’ve met and worked with. I have built countless relationships with Ghanaians – who for the sake of it, I’ll generalize by calling them Dorothys – all over the Upper East Region of Ghana and beyond…Dorothys who span the entire spectrum of wealth, Dorothys who have made me feel everything from inspired to disheartened, they’ve pleasantly surprised me and unfortunately disappointed me, Dorothys who have made me laugh so hard my abs hurt the next day or who have made my cry a river, they are vulnerable and they are strong, they are individuals and they are families, they have touched my heart and soul, and they have helped me better understand and appreciate this multifaceted country we call Ghana –  they are people I’ll never forget.

Dare I ask “Who isn’t Dorothy”?!                           

Some examples of people who’ve I’ve gotten to know a bit more than others, people who inspire me, and who have really taught me about Ghana include Simon, an agriculture extension agent (AEA) and one of my counterparts in Bawku West district, who has provided me with more insight into the challenges of MoFA’s work environment and development (untimely release of funds, poor leadership and management, inappropriate indicators, etc.) but who maintains this kind of determination to make a positive and legendary contribution to the lives of as many people and farmers in his community as he can – if this means working to get a dam constructed to irrigate hundreds of acres for dry-season farming, or discussing record keeping as part of Agriculture as a Business with a group of 5 women who process shea-butter together in one of the most remote locations or the region.

Another example would be the Asaah family in Bongo district. A family who doesn’t get to benefit from MoFA services provided by AEAs for one reason or another (flooding during the farming season makes them inaccessible, AEA:farmer ratios are unfathomable, etc.), yet due to their hard work, they farm and rotate a variety of crops that sustain them throughout [most of] the year. The father travels down south during the dry season to the wetter part of the country to find work on farms while the mother and grandmom stay home sowing rice by the dam and weaving baskets to buy ingredients to cook and [barely] afford school fees for the 3 children who, despite the frailty, maintain dreams of becoming doctors, engineers, and politicians.

There are the Wiiga farmers who are so innovative, hard working, united and supportive of one another in celebration and sadness. And there’s Sadia in Tamale, the hardworking and entrepreneurial woman (who I don't have a picture of) who I’ve watched gradually expand upon her hut where she makes many of us APS fried eggs with bread and tea in the morning.

Oh I could go on…!

I’ve attached some pictures because I think these people deserve to shine. Of course they will impose one idea or another as do these blurbs, so please take them with consideration.

-- I didn’t come here to just work, I came here to live a dream. I didn’t necessarily come here to fit in, I came here to be who I am. I didn’t come here for the ‘stuff’, I came here to love one another. I didn’t come here by accident, I came here with a purpose that is uniquely my own. –

Each Dorothy is unique, and each one of us has a unique perception of Dorothy.

No comments: